Senior CICD DevOps Engineer
Come be the engineer who leads us on the journey to best practice CICD engineering! It’s time for us to step up a gear change or two. We’re looking for that thought leader, someone who is a champion for best practice in Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery and who has an eye for high-performance systems.
Our business grew rapidly as a startup, it passed through the scale-up phase, and now we are a large multinational business that’s still rapidly expanding. The time has come for us to switch from the ad hocery of “start-up mode” to a company that’s grounded itself in the best engineering practices.
A key part of that is the transition to a CICD model of delivery and deployment. We’re also undertaking a transformation of our back-end systems to JVM-based microservices in a service mesh, building advanced data analytics and ML/AI in Python and deconstructing our legacy PHP systems into React on the front-end and Kotlin on the back. We’re investing heavily in our platform, team and future; and our automation framework will be the solid foundation on which we’re building everything else.
We currently use a mixture of some automation with Jenkins (back-end) + Selenium (front), though we are not necessarily particularly attached to those. We currently rely upon a heavy utilisation of subject matter domain experts for manually testing, but that’s not a scalable solution and our plans for new market offerings—particularly driven by an internal product incubator and additional country penetration—mean that we must eliminate this manual component almost entirely.
The aim is to keep the code in a deployable state at any given time. That’s a key enabler for our growth so that we can push dozens of releases to production—risk-free—each day. That best-practice Continuous Delivery experience, with the use of cutting-edge technology, will empower our e-commerce organisation to the next level.
This will shift the role of the domain experts from manually testing to verifying that the functional features they had requested meet their expectations and to suggesting how the implemented features could be further enhanced. This enables growth and stimulates iterative product and service innovation. This role will have a huge impact on the organisation.
For the person we are looking for, this will be a ‘dream job’: a green fields leadership position to show us exactly how this should be done and support a hundred million Euro business to become a billion Euro one.
You will need:
- Experience in a workplace that has transitioned through CI and Continuous Deployment to full-blown Continuous Delivery
- Experience with multiple different automation frameworks and the ability to identify the strengths and weaknesses of each
- A strong affinity for doing things right the first time but, paradoxically, the flexibility to experiment, fail fast and converge on the optimal solution
- To be a leader who can balance leading and educating the Technology team on best practice, as well as having the stakeholder management skills to understand business drivers and revenue objectives to ensure we stay business deliverable-focused at all times
- Well-connected into the DevOps community, preferably recognised as a thought leader in this space
We offer the opportunity to fully engage your passion for CICD, to work in a great environment of open-minded and creative individuals and a compensation package that recognises your excellence.